I need a Bubble Shoe

I'm so frustrated today!!   Woke up in the middle of the night to some nasty pain in my ankle.   Ended up taking some OTC pain killers to ease me into a nice sleep.

What the heck happen you ask? 
Well.  I just got the all clear last week to return to light running and skipping.  My physiotherapist suggested that I start with the skipping (singles) and later, eventually work my way back to running.   I even intentionally gave myself another week (that was the plan) to hold off on any running/skipping rope.


Looking back at last week, nothing unusual or stressful on the ankles/lower body.   I continue making modifications as much as I needed on all the workouts, warm-ups, SKILL and WODs.   One of my friends, Jonathan had mention that he remembered me doing the handstands.  I did, but that was only strainous on the arms/shoulder and core.   If you recall, I scaled it by walking backwards up the wall and it was more of the 45 to 55 degree angle than the 90 angle your suppose to have it.  
After much analyzing (I do that a lot), the only thing that I can think of that it might have been was one of the warm yoga where I was sitting on my knee with my feet underneath and untucked.  (Kinda like when you swim and you point your toes in the opposite directions of where you are swimming to).  I have weak and loose ankles as mention by my physiothearpist.  That's why, even when I do yoga; I have an ankle tensor on.  Why take the chance is what I say...    Anyways, I may have exceeded my stretch on those ankles further than I had wanted.   

Now, I really need to be more mindful of what I do.   Not just crossfit, but all activities. 


So, where does it hurt?  
Apparently, something went on my ankle.    I'm only basing this on where the pain and swelling is. And no, it's not my Achilles!!   I know what that feels like and where.

I won't know exactly what it is until tomorrow when I see my physiothearapist, who I'm sure will be more than delighted to see me again.. <insert sarcasm>

I''ll update the blog with my journey to recovery.

Frustrations setting in...
I've been really fighting it hard not to abandon my journey into crossfit.  I don't have a lot of other things to do today other than Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevate.   Thus, the doubt tends to set in. 

I've seen all the positive impacts that Crossfit has done for me.   Although, the negatives like now is really beginning to outweigh those positives.

One of the comments that have been made to me in the past (where I think they belong; but now has showns it's ugly head again)

 - your not as young as you were before, your OLD and you shouldn't push yourself!    
   I'm 45, and no; I refuse to use that as a primary excuse!  I may had mention it in the past after I 
   had caved in to the negativity; but was kindly reminded by my coaches and others that we can
   scale the workouts, and the only competition you have is yourself. 

I give credit to my wife who's been by my side and have remained positive and reminds me that sometime, shit just happens!  I've also advise my workout partner (Leanne), who's been by my side since we both started the Crossfit at the same time that I won't be joining her this week and perhaps worst, the week following.  I know that there are many people out there in my corner, keeping me positive.  

So where do I go after my recovery, what are my plans?

I'll be doing my best to keep those negative thoughts/comments at bay.   I might need to change my programming.  I really don't want to use the age card as an excuse.  But be more mindful of it.

Currently, I'm doing Crossfit three times a week (M, W, F) and then on my off days, I do Yoga (T, Th, Sun).  I have one full day (Saturday) as a complete rest day. 
The yoga types varies, with a Relax and Restore, Warm Hatha Yoga, Hot Hatha Yoga; respectively in that order.  The logic is that after the benchmark day (Monday), one should reward themselves with some kindness the next day.  Thats where the Relax and Restore is good for.  The Warm Hatha Yoga is good to get he muscle warmed up quickly as the room temperature is much higher than an average room.  The Hot yoga is a good way to sweat out all the toxins in your body, a way of naturally cleaning out.  All this before the weekday starts again. 

After I heal; I'll be tempted to drop my frequency to twice a week (Crossfit) and Yoga down a few as well.   At this point, I really cannot tell which one cause the issue I'm encountering.


So until the next update, hope everyone tackles one WOD at a time!!

Comments

Popular Posts