Day 340: CF Armoury: Squat Cleans Variants; WOD: HSPU and Box Jump Overs

Monday; April 11, 2016 [after 7 am class@ Crossfit Armoury

:0-10
Warm-Up:

Empty barbell Front Rack Rotations
Squat with Barbell resting on thighs
10 Front Squats
High Hang Squat Clean
Above Knee Squat clean
Below Knee Squat Clean


:10-20
Strength:

Work up to a working set of:
1 High Hang Squat Clean
1 Front Squat
1 Above Knee Squat Clean
1 Front Squat
1 Below Knee Squat Clean

:20-30
Every 1:30 for 7 Rounds:
Above Complex



:35-40
WOD Warm-Up:  

50' Inch Worm
Test Handstand  Push Ups
Test Box Jump height, should be the challenging but not dangerous
10 Box Jumps at WOD Height


:40-55
WOD:  

 For Time : 

40 seconds WORK;  20 seconds REST
12 - 11 - 10 - 9 - 8 - 7 - 6 - 5 - 4 - 3 - 2 - 1
Handstand Push ups
Box Jump Overs (M: 30" / W: 24")

15 Minute Time Cap


Today's Coach:  Jason

My Thoughts:

Warm-Up;
Grabbed an empty barbell and start with front rack rotations; 10 reps each side.  The class then rested the empty barbell on the thighs in a squat position.  I really like this pose, and probably could sit in this position for hours..  well, maybe not hours.. more like many minutes... I think we were to hold it for a minute or two.  Next, was 10 reps of empty bar front squats.  The first few were a bit sticky after being in the squat position.  For me, it's just that way.

STRENGTH;
I started with a fairly light weight of 75 lb and eventually ended at 105 lb.  Which surprisingly was heavy with me and left me gasping for breath after each set.  I think it was all the squat movements.   I asked Jason how heavy, and he suggested heavy.   Again, back to that confidence issue.   I was more focus on not killing myself and 'able' do do it then just HEAVY.  Well, 105 lb ended up being the weight I used for the next set of Strength complex.

Hindsight; I should went with heavier!!  I'll paraphrase what Clem was eluding to, last week. "You need to push yourself, to failure; otherwise how will you be able to improve.." or something like that..   He more elegant when he says it.   Who's Clem?  He's one of the O.G. 7 am crew who I'm more than happy to workout with.    Annoying at times, but all good!!  ;)   

WOD Warm-up;
Had time to swap out the oly shoes for my Nike Metacons.  Started with 50' inch worms and then setup for Handstand Push Ups (scaled this with the box, in a pike position and press on the floor).  I asked Jason if I could do step ups and he would prefer me to do Box Jumps at a lower height, (20" vs the 24").   I haven't done a box jump for fear of injuring my achilles, and been slowly ramping up (scaling using the 45 lb bumper plates, got up to 4).  
I decided to give it a try to see how that goes.   Felt better than I had before and no pain afterwards.    First time I've done box jumps at 20" in over 1.5 years.  Let's see how I feel tonight.

WOD;
6 am classes, everyday (Mon - Fri)
and the scoring table for the WOD
So, the intention is to continuing working thru each of the workout in the duration of 40 seconds.  Wherever you stop, the next 40 seconds, you continue from where you left off.  Twenty seconds for rest is not a lot of time at the later rounds.   I barely had enough time to sit on the box and catching my breath before standing back up and getting ready for the next movement.

Talking to one of the other guys, Jason M (not Coach Jason); he went and grabbed some dumbbells (as that was a scaled version of the HSPU using the box).  If you couldn't do the HSPU with a box (in a pike position); you could do strict dumbbell press.    Jason M mentioned that it's 78 reps to complete.  I grabbed them in case I would needed them.   Luckily I didn't need them, and just modified the box HSPU instead.

The rep scheme for this WOD was a descending ladder start at 12 and dropping 1 rep each round.  As I got closer to the end, motivated my Jason M next to me; Coach Jason called out that we had a minute left.   I decided to finish this workout regardless how long it takes.   In hindsight, I should had waited for the next minute to finish my last reps of 3, 2, and 1.   But I managed to finish it in 15 minutes and 12 seconds.    


Misc:
I better mention this before I get more flak from Ray.  Of course, he's hiding in Vegas this week.  Why did I mention Ray; he's the other O.G. for 7 am class.  Ray; hope you are doing or going to attend a Crossfit box in Vegas!!!  

In case you need to find one, goto the following URL:   https://maps.crossfit.com


Extra creditalso known as extra programming for the likes.   In case you find that the WOD was not enough, or you are looking on increasing your skills, strength for an upcoming competition.  This little nugget is the thing for you!   Coaches are on-site and can be asked for assistance if there is a movement you don't understand.  They will also provide some guidance if you are doing it wrong.
Usually, the extra credit is performed after the class.   And more than likely, there will be others from the class who will want to do it.   This is definitely another way to get to know the other members at your box.

EMOM for 10 Minutes:
 3 Hang Power Snatch @ 60% 

Remember to stay consistent in your training and tackle one WOD at a time!!

Comments

Popular Posts