Day 343: CF Armoury: 3 RM Back Squats; WOD: EMOM - T2B, HS Progression


Tending to some minor discomfort/injury after this last weekend competition
Getting some love from Optimize Physiotherapy and Sports Injury Clinic



Tuesday; April 19, 2016 [after 7 am class@ Crossfit Armoury


0-10
Warm-Up:

Waterfall Squats
10 Empty Bar Back Squats


:10-20
STRENGTH:

Work up to a 3 RM Back Squat

:20-27
3 Rep Back Squat @ 93% of weight established from above
3 Rounds, 3 Minute REST between rounds


:32-37
WOD Warm-Up:  

Walkthrough Handstand Walk Progressions
Progression 1:  Inverted on Box, 6 hand raises from ground
Progression 2:  Facing Wall, 6 hand raises from ground
Progression 3:  Standing 5 feet from wall, kick up to handstand and attempt to walk into wall
Progression 4:  10 to 30 foot Handstand Walk
20 Beats Swings
10 Toes to Bar


:37-55
WOD:  

 16 Minute EMOM 

Minute 1:  10 Toes to Bar
Minute 2:  Handstand Progression


Today's Coach:  Jason


My Thoughts:
Was so looking forward to back squats, but with some minor issues after this weekend competition...  knee; i'm forced to take it easy and following my physiotherapist suggestion. 

Warm-Up;
We really didn't have as much time to work on waterfall squats, other than loading up a rack with the empty barbell and perform 10 air squats.    Then, it was off to the empty bar back squats for 10.   I was being very mindful of my form as I was reminded to stay on my heels.   I have a tendency to lift my heels and all my weight shifts to the front of my feet.  I tend to do this when I'm in a rush (usually in a rush to get the damn 'heavy' weight of me).  And with my knee,  I definitely kept that in mind as I slow down my squat and practice more technique/form.

STRENGTH;
After seeing Arri (Physiotherapist) on Monday; he suggested that I should respect the weight and scale it.  The suggestion was to build up the weight to 135 lb, and perform 8 to 10 reps for 3 sets.   I had advise my coach (Jason) of the suggestion by Arri.   Meanwhile, Clem was 'chirping' that I should do 10 after over-hearing me saying, "8 to 10 reps".    I had lightly stated 8 while Clem kept chirping 10!  Coach Jason just ignored us...    and I ended up doing 10 reps for 3 sets.  Whatever!!    Also, it didn't help as there was only Clem and I in attendance   Very strange for a 7 am class to have so little in attendance.  There were 6 people in the 6 am class.  We lost Jon to that class due to his work schedule.   Some of the others who regular attend the class are now following a different program by a different coach.   Everyone is working on their new goals after the Crossfit Open.

WOD Warm-up;
While the WOD warm-up and the WOD will focus mostly on upper body; it'll give my knee a rest.  I scaled my Warm-up and used Progression 1.   This called for the use of a box and doing 6 hand raises (same side) while inverted (toes on the box).  It took a round or two to get my balance.
While working on my Beat Swings, Coach Jason kept re-enforcing that I must engage my shoulders while doing this. Always seems so straightforward until I try it.   I always think I'm doing it, but eventually I tried out, and dis-engage.   

WOD;
The first few round were okay on the bar, and then I decided to grab some weightlifting gloves to limit the amount of tearing of my callus.   However, I found that slipped more with them on.  I even tried a few rounds with more chalk on them.   In the end, I took them off and chalk up my hands before attempting them again.
Last 4 rounds, Coach Jason suggest I stop try to do Knees to Elbow and focus on my beat swing.   I really need to work on this, that and the fact my grip strength on the bar was starting to give out.   Just like my Handstand progression, the later rounds got harder as my shoulders and arms started to fatigue.
After 18 minutes, I was glad this WOD was over.   Shoulder are swollen, arms are tired and just sweating away...

Every athlete should have one of these.
Rogue Voodoo Floss Band
Misc:
So, one of the things that was done on my knee was the use of the Voodoo Floss band.   It was mentioned by Arri that I should use the Voodoo Floss band at least 3 times a day on my knee.   I had found that it really helps prior to a workout and as well as afterwards.

My issues with my knee is that the weekend had caused the muscle around my knee to swell up, and as well as some compression onto my knee.  The muscles above my knee were so tight that when Arri worked on them, I was squirming on the bed like a live fish on the chopping table.   Yes, they were that tight...  its the same feeling when you roll out your tight IT bands, but instead it's the muscles on top.

I'll continue this course of treatment as Arri mention it will be only a few days and I should be back to normal.



Extra creditalso known as extra programming for the likes.   In case you find that the WOD was not enough, or you are looking on increasing your skills, strength for an upcoming competition.  This little nugget is the thing for you!   Coaches are on-site and can be asked for assistance if there is a movement you don't understand.  They will also provide some guidance if you are doing it wrong.
Usually, the extra credit is performed after the class.   And more than likely, there will be others from the class who will want to do it.   This is definitely another way to get to know the other members at your box.

EMOM for 10 Minutes:
 4 DB Squat Snatches (M: 50 lb/ W: 35 lb)

Remember to stay consistent in your training and tackle one WOD at a time!!

Comments

Popular Posts