Day 342: CF Armoury: 4 RM Back Squats; WOD: 24 Min EMOM - Cardio and Core


Clem H.; warming up with a 'light' 315 lb back squat


Wednesday; April 13, 2016 [after 7 am class@ Crossfit Armoury


0-5
Warm-Up:

Bomb Squats
10 Empty Bar Back Squats


:5-20
STRENGTH:

Work up to a 4 RM Back Squat

:20-27
4 Rep Back Squat @ 92% of weight established above
3 Rounds, 3 Minutes REST between rounds


:30-55
WOD:  

 24 Minute EMOM 

Minute 1:  Row slow
Minute 2:  20 Hollow Body Rocks
Minute 3:  20 Superman Rocks
Minute 4:  50' Shuttle Run
Minute 5:  30 second Plank
Minute 6:  30 second Sorenson Hold


Today's Coach: Kyle L.

My Thoughts:
I'm starting to like this long EMOMs; specifically where you can work on your cardio in a steady pace.  

Warm-Up;
Coach Kyle mentioned to us to perform 20 air squats, we don't have to gather around in a circle to do it.   Most of us went and setup our stations for the back squats and at the same time grabbed an empty barbell.    Afterwards, did my 20 air squats, followed by 10  empty barbell back squats

STRENGTH;
The class had 15 minutes to build up to our 4 RM on Back Squats.   I certainly didn't feel as fresh/strong as I did last week.  I started with 135 lb, 185, 205, and finally hitting 225 lb; all 4 reps.   For the second part of the Strength component, we are to use 92% of our 4 RM.   Which translate to 207 lbs.   I had to round to the back to find the 1 lb plates.   
The class did 3 rounds, every 3 minutes @ 4 reps each.   I really felt this one today and it was a struggle on the third round.

WOD;
As I had said earlier, I'm starting to like these longer EMOMs that focus on both the cardio and core.  Both areas is what I need to work on.   Coach Kyle mentioned to row slow, but if we wanted to; we could row at a faster pace.   I used the rowing as my recovery.  Of the 6 movements, the most challenging part was the Sorenson Hold (for us guys, it can be a 'crushing' experience, if the equipment isn't lined up correctly).  Coach mentioned that we can do regular superman instead of superman rocks. 

Here's a video from Youtube on what a Sorenson Hold is.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THsDCzaod3M

Misc:
For those who wonder how the workout may impact you, I'm sharing my statistics here to help give you an idea how it works the good heart.   Here's what it looks like for me.   Remember, you results will vary!   I'm 47 and a bit overweight (the struggle is real).  

But I'm plugging away it, and if this is what I need to prove to myself that I can do it, then I just need to tackle one WOD at a time!!



Data pulled off my Fitbit Surge.  Highest my heart rate I hit during class.
Tried the Circuit Training settings instead of Workout settings.


Extra creditalso known as extra programming for the likes.   In case you find that the WOD was not enough, or you are looking on increasing your skills, strength for an upcoming competition.  This little nugget is the thing for you!   Coaches are on-site and can be asked for assistance if there is a movement you don't understand.  They will also provide some guidance if you are doing it wrong.
Usually, the extra credit is performed after the class.   And more than likely, there will be others from the class who will want to do it.   This is definitely another way to get to know the other members at your box.

5 Minutes to Complete
 25 Strict Press (M: 95 lb / W: 65 lb)
 25 Strict Ring Dips (Muscle Up into if possible)
 If completed, rest util 5:00, restart, and record your time for round

Remember to stay consistent in your training and tackle one WOD at a time!!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts