Day 293: CF Armoury: Snatch Complex; WOD - 5 RFT: S2OH, Rope Climbs

Thursday; December 10, 2015 @ Crossfit Armoury

:0-10
Warm-Up:

Dowel Passthroughs
No hip muscle snatch
Hip Muscle Snatch
High Hang Squat snatch
Low hang Squat Snatch
Overhead Squat

:10-30
STRENGTH:

Work up to a HEAVY set of the complex:
1 Squat Snatch, drop and reset
1 Squat Snatch + 1 Overhead Squat, drop and reset
1 Squat Snatch + 1 Snatch balance + 1 Overhead Squat
REST between sets must be less than 10 seconds


:35-40
WOD Warm-Up:  

Walkthrough Rope climb
5 Shoulder Press, 5 Push Press, 5 Push Jerk
Load Shoulder to Overhead Weight (Should be Heavy)


:40-55
WOD:  

5 ROUNDS for Time
10 Shoulder to Overhead (M: 165 lb / W: 110 lb)
2 Rope Climbs


Today's Coach:  Jason

My Thoughts:
Slight shift in my schedule, after arriving at work at 3:30 AM for a 4 AM System maintenance.  Most people would just go home and sleep afterwards.  But for me, I don't want to skip my Crossfit.  Came to the noon class, and for some part... had a few people gave me an odd look pondering if I was making a class change from my regular 7 am.  I'm more surprised that I'm more awake than dead.  Having attended the Crossfit Armoury Christmas party the night before and going home to grab a three hour nap before heading into work..   Yah, I think I'm running on whatever adrenaline I have left in my system.

Warm-Up;
Started with the wonderful wooden dowel, with a simple passthroughs.  We next moved to the different snatches as demoed by Coach Jason.  We had to perform 10 of each movement with the wooden dowel.   No funky business at the noon class, as I would normally do at 7 am.  

STRENGTH;
Was asked to work up to a HEAVY set of the complex shown.   I managed to hit 105 lb for this and my issue was the snatch balance.  That would be my weakest movement, and the limited amount of time to rest between sets.   

WOD Warm-up;
There was a walkthrough with the ropes, and for those who have not mastered the rope, there was a scaling option. We also used an empty barbell and perform 5 reps of each (Shoulder Press, Push Press, Push Jerk).   I loaded the weight to 105 lb, the same weight I used for the Strength.

WOD;
There was a fair amount of people at noon.  Now, I'm not sure exactly how many people is the norm since I don't usually attend the class.  There were only a few people who were going to do Rope climbs (the rest of us would be doing scaled variations).  I scaled the Shoulder to Overhead (using Push Press) to a weight of 105 lb.   I was tired overall, and knew that the Rope Climbs would kill my shoulder strength, even scaled.  Scaled Rope Climb variations were Lie on the floor underneath the rope and pull yourself up.  To make it more challenging, I had to keep my legs straight when pulling myself up.  This definitely made it significantly harder.
Took me 12 minutes and 35 seconds to complete all 5 rounds of this WOD.

Misc:
I stayed around afterwards to cool down and stretch; something that I don't usually do after my 7 am class.  I watched a few people who were asking for advice on rope climbing and as well as some questions about it.  I for one has never been able to pick up on this.  It always looks so effortless by those who take to it.  As explained to me, a good part of it is the technique to wrap the rope around your feet.   My attempts always ended up with some rope burn (thus why I have those RockTape Shin guards now), sore feet/archs, or just exhausted arms (because I'm using my arms instead of my legs/feet to hold myself in place).  Then the next step apparently is similar to Toes to Bar or Knees to Elbow movement.   Somehow, that movement from the bar overhead (ie. Knees to Elbow) to holding a rope, totally confuses my body and brain.  A complete disconnect and nothing moves...  There I am, dangling on the rope, 3 inches off the ground and going no where.  Eventually, it's either my hand grip or my feet gives out and I drop.     More work, less thinking, and less excuses.  I'll keep you posted on this as I try to work thru it.

Extra creditalso known as extra programming for the likes.   In case you find that the WOD was not enough, or you are looking on increasing your skills, strength for an upcoming competition.  This little nugget is the thing for you!   Coaches are on-site and can be asked for assistance if there is a movement you don't understand.  They will also provide some guidance if you are doing it wrong.
Usually, the extra credit is performed after the class.   And more than likely, there will be others from the class who will want to do it.   This is definitely another way to get to know the other members at your box.

12 Rounds, every 45 seconds
 3 Back Squat @65% 1 RM



Remember to stay consistent in your training and tackle one WOD at a time!!

Comments

Popular Posts