Crossfit Armoury - June 11, 2018: Squat Snatches; WOD: 4 Rnds - 400 Meter Run, C2B, OHS


Monday; June 11, 2018 @ Crossfit Armoury - West



Crossfit Coach:  Stacey Head

Thoughts:
Came to the late class, as in the last class of the night, 7 PM.  I haven't done a late crossfit class for so long..  it throws everyone off.   I seem to do this a lot.  Sometimes it's intentional; other times, it's not.
Most people saw me putting on my lifters, so they thought I was doing the Olympic lifting class or I was about to start my customized olympic lifting program.   Neither, I said!  Class!  LOL

Warm-up:
Wasn't paying attention to the 2 rounds.  LOL  First round was with the wooden dowel and coach went thru each movement, and had each of us do 5 reps of each.  Second round was with the empty barbell.  Let's say someone got lazy and didn't do his 5 reps of each movement.  I'm not naming names, as I could incriminate myself here.  ;)

Strength:
We had 20 minutes to build up to a 1 RM on the Squat Snatch.  I actually wanted to do it my way and completely do it with my weights.   I had it pre-calculated out (of course I did) if we had to do it by the book.   


I asked Coach if I could use my own numbers and she said, yes.  But  I had to follow the rep scheme.   /ugh   

I started light with 65 lb and went up with some random weight order.  75, 95, 105, 125, 135, 155, and then 165 lb for an attempt at my PR.  My previous was 162 lb.  I did attempt it twice and the called it.   I should had gone to 160 lb and then 165 lb.   Oh well, this is what happens when I rush myself.

My first attempt, I didn't lock out my arms and the weight caused my arms to crumple.  I bailed.  And the second one, which I don't have a video; coach did.  Showed me had it above the head, but I sat too far back and aborted it as I was actually tipping backwards.   Not sure, but I think I let go of my core at one point.   Next time, I'll get a PR!

WOD Warm-up:
Today has not been a good day for paying attention.  I was using this time for my second attempt at the Squat Snatch.   And then the rest of the time was busy putting all the weights away.  I did try the overhead squat at 95 lb.  I also went and swap out my Legacy Lifters for my Nike Metcon DSX Flynits (crossfit shoes).

WOD:
So, the WOD calls for 4 rounds and it's for time.  Original programming called for 15 minutes to complete.  But thank goodness they let the clock run until people finished.  I can say, that my running has not improved.  Despite being able to finish it.  I had scaled my workout and used 95 lb for my overhead squat and the Chest to Bar is still, Jumping Chest to Bar.  I really need to work on my stamina.  Maybe I'll have to figure where I can stick in some running into my week of training.

Misc:
So, I did more accessory work; which is now the standard thing for me.   Someone asked me if I was staying again to "punish" myself?   Yup!! Call it whatever you want!  I have goals set, and I aiming to achieve it!  I have found some people that are on the same wavelength as me and am going to surround myself with them.

I had a good chat with Coach Kyle, who was in the Crossfit Regionals.  I wanted to add more load to my farmer carries and I was planning to build up to the 100 lb dumbbells, as our max Kettlebell is 88 lb.  Sadly, we only have one of them.  I've started use that one just for Waiters Carry with Farmer walk.  I was initially using a lighter weight to help strengthen my core, after my recent mishaps with the handstand hold against the wall a few weeks.  I came in after an 2.5+ hour training with olympic lifting to work on them, and at one point; my core gave out and I crumpled against the wall.  I felt down in an awkward position and it basically aggravated my lower back/muscle.   After some physio, it was suggested that I do these to strengthen my back muscle and core.

I like a strong core, we use it in so many things!  I'm all for exercises that will do this.

It  has helped out in my gymnastics class.   And there is tons of benefits, (just google it) of farmer carries, and waiter carries.  Probably why you see me doing them around the box.

I've added 70 lb sack carries for 400 meter as it's part of my core building.  I actually use it as an active recovery.  Something to cool me down, and at the same time, allow me to use that time to reflect on what I've done so far.  I usually do this when I'm carrying it on my upper back around the building.

Back to what Coach Kyle said, do alternating arm waiter carry for 45 seconds.  Do up to 10 swaps.   I'll give it a try, they were using the 70 lb Kettlebell.  I'm use to that wait..  I'll give this a try on my next post WOD, accessory add-on.

I have a few others that were passed along to me from other higher level athletes.  I'll scale it according to my current load and see how they fair out.

Plus, there is a few more movements, hopefully it will stick and make it all workout.  I'll keep you posted here.

As a nice chill, I decided to do a 5000 meter row, at a relative light pace.  A pace as coach Mike Kan said; that I can carry on a conversation without losing break.  I took this time to test my theory (keeping my stroke / minute around 22) and give it a good strong pull.  I need to work on this part, the strong pull.

5000 meter (initial start)
 
Time to complete 5000m
Aim for 22 s/m; average pace of 2:07 / 500 m
Time: 22 minutes and 22.2 seconds
Damper setting at 5


 Also took some time to roll out my legs as they were quite tired after yesterday (Sunday's #inVEST workout).


Extra creditalso known as extra programming for the likes.   In case you find that the WOD was not enough, or you are looking on increasing your skills, strength for an upcoming competition.  This little nugget is the thing for you!   Coaches are on-site and can be asked for assistance if there is a movement you don't understand.  They will also provide some guidance if you are doing it wrong.

Usually, the extra credit is performed after the class.   And more than likely, there will be others from the class who will want to do it.   This is definitely another way to get to know the other members at your box.

 Super Set 5 sets
  Inclined Dumbbell Bicep Curls 8 per arm (alternating)
  Banded tricep extension 20 total

Mobility; 
 Barbell Tricep Smashing -  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh4E38GImsI


Remember to stay consistent in your training and tackle one WOD at a time!!

Hashtags for the day:  #rebuild #tobefitby50

Comments

Popular Posts