O.P.F. Olympic Lifting via Remote Coaching/Programming Update - June 8, 2018


Olympic Power and Fitness
<source:  https://www.facebook.com/olympicpowerandfitness/>

Thoughts:
So, I started my olympic lifting program with coach, Kevin Zimmerman from Olympic Power and Fitness; via remote coaching.   My intention is to save myself the 80 minutes of driving back and forth between locations and put that valuable time toward my actual lifting.

I'll be doing this with videos of my initial lift (set) and my ending lift (set) of that particular movement.   The programming is broken into 4 different Lifting movements.  Certain movements are used specifically for me as I have weakness in certain areas and this is to improve my deficiencies.

Once the lifting session is completed, the videos are uploaded into a folder and then I send him a link for viewing/evaluation. 

He's been pretty quick with feedback to my videos.   With that being said, it's been helpful as I can always go back to the comments and review the videos myself to see where I was making my errors.

June 1:   
First time out with the program, and I couldn't finish the program for that day.  It happen on my Back Squat section.  He had me scheduled to do 4 sets, 8 reps each starting at 60% ranging to 75% of my 1 RM.   Well, by the time I got to my second set, first rep.  That was all I could muster.  I was done.  :(

Just like his actual training session, the programming for each day will take two hours to complete.

The other thing that I found video taping myself is that whenever I do lift any weight above my head; my shirt lifts up.  Which unfortunately, shows my overweight belly hanging.  So depressing, as I've been working hard in getting rid of that.   Still, now I understand why all weightlifters wear singlets when competing.  

I guess my next order of action is to wear longer shirts, and also look into a proper nutritionist.  Something that will deal with my hectic and long workout schedules.   It won't be just Crossfit, but now also Olympic lifting.   So essentially, conditioning and strength.   That will be next week's task.

June 4:
Second day of the three day program that I ask coach for.  It went better than my first of my program and I was able to finish it.  And exactly 2 hours to complete.  This included my periodic rest as needed.  

I also found a longer shirt, I have two of them that will properly hide my stomach when my arms are above my head.   Perhaps seeing my video will push me harder to seek out the nutritionist.   I've started to look at all the ones that advertised at our Crossfit box and a few others nearby.  The research has started!

On another note, I've been doing my program inside my Crossfit box, instead of at Evolve Strength.  It's a comfort thing, being in a building where I've been training for the last three years.  Everyone knows everyone, that community feeling.  Not yet ready to let go of Crossfit Armoury.   Plus there is a dedicated area on the other side (wall separating) of the Crossfit area that one can train.  The only catch is all the weight are measured in LBs and not in KG like at Evolve Strength for the Olympic lifting plates.

Thus, my spreadsheet has both lb and kg; so when I do choose to be at Evolve.  I don't have to pull out the calculator or do mind math.

And the other thing that was odd, was my old olympic lifting crew doing their Monday class.   Even thou I was there, on the other side of the gym.  It just was weird to not train with them.   It's gotten to the point that one of the guys said to me, "It's so odd that your here, but not doing Olympic lifting.   When I think of Olympic lifting class, I think of you (Tony)!"   I agreed, after doing olympic lifting classes for 9+ months and to not doing the class; it was weird.   After some explanation; they do understand.   I may still periodically come to an oly class in the future.

June 8:
Today is my heavy day for olympic lifting.  And after yesterday 1RM OHS during crossfit class, my body is tired.  Not sore or anything, just tired.

The heat warning should had been a clue on how well my night was going to be.




The temperature was even higher earlier in the day.  I opted to come in on a Friday evening hoping that the temperature would be a bit cooler, it was by 2 degrees.   I wasn't even 100% sure I was going to be able to lift, and would know after a few sets.

There were a bunch of people working thru their training and as well as the 5 and 6 PM crossfit class.   Quite a bit smaller class, but still a class.

I started with the programming and knew I was going to be in trouble as I was only half way thru my normal 2 hour program, at the 2 hour mark.   I started at 5:30 PM, and I made it to the half way mark at 7:00 PM.  I cried a bit inside.  Who knew the heat will be soul crushing!!



Tonight, I would come up with some personal challenges as I had never worked or moved the wooden jerk blocks.  Coach had programmed them in at the end of my strength cycle.






As I had joked on my social media account, I had to laugh at myself afterwards. I ended up losing another 20 minutes fighting with the wooden jerk blocks.  Readjusting the height, re-stacking the pieces after moving it into the correct position and only later, some suggested that I could had used a couple of 45 lb bumper plates to do the same thing.   Ugh...  lesson learned!

The good; I got my programming done in about 3 hours and I'm wiser for the next time!

Also, wanted to give a shout out to Whitney and Jarek who were both busy in their training.  Meaning, I didn't feel so bad for being there longer than I should.  

The big thanks was for Whitney who kept the doors open later than usual on a Friday evening!   It was Greatly appreciated!!   

Practice, practice with consistency, practice with intention.

Comments

Popular Posts